By Lim Leong Seng
Material : Bronze
Location : The Pavilion @ Far East Square
Duration : Permanent
Collection : China Square
Dimensions : 1.3m x 4.1m x 1.6m
Amoy Street was once colloquially known as 'Free School Street' because of Cui Ying Free School, which was built in 1854. The first Anglo-Chinese School (ACS) was also established in one of the shophouses along this street in 1886. This sculpture depicts a scene from the past at Amoy Street, where school-going children indulged in their favourite pastime, chapteh, with their friends after class. A traditional grame favoured by many in Asia and Southeast Asia, chapteh requires players to keep a weighted shuttlecock in the air by using their feet or other parts of body except for their hands. This chapteh shuttlecock could be made simply and cheaply by attaching feathers to a rubber sole.